My experience with Smile More Today has been wonderful. They are professional in their approach and make me feel like the most important person there. But the best experience is what I have had at home; using the dental device, I have been able to sleep through a full night, 7 ½ hrs. This is remarkable as I have not been able to sleep more than 6hrs at any one time in more than 17 years. My apnea limited me to snoring and interrupted sleep patterns for years; NO MORE. I am rested and feel more alert and alive than I have in a very long time. Thanks Dr. Kumar & Jackie. ~ Bill Pearson
Snoring is a common dilemma that millions of people face. Whether it is their own snoring, or their partners’, snoring can cause numerous issues. Because of the high instance of snoring, it is easy to think that any type of snoring is simply that - snoring. However, there are instances in which snoring goes too far, and is actually sleep apnea, a disorder that requires professional treatment as soon as possible.
Sleep apnea may develop in one of a few types. The most common form of this sleep disorder is obstructive sleep apnea, the type that occurs due to a blockage in airflow during sleep. As air is blocked, the brain is deprived of oxygen and it responds by disturbing sleep just enough to promote breathing. In many cases, the person affected by these lapses in breathing, which may occur hundreds of times a night, never awakens enough to become aware of the underlying problem. It is important to recognize the differences between snoring and sleep apnea in order to receive the treatment necessary to restore health and prevent serious conditions such as stroke or cardiovascular disease.
Some of the symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea include:
- Chronic snoring that is extremely loud, heard in other rooms of the house.
- Choking, snorting, or gasping sounds with snoring.
- Pauses in breath during sleep.
- Extreme sleepiness, even after several hours sleep.
- Sleep is fitful or restless.
- Persistent waking during the night for water, or to use the bathroom.
- Difficulty concentrating or remembering information.
- Persistent moodiness or irritability.
- Development or worsening of depression.
At Smile More Today, we work with patients and their physicians towards an alternative solution. Using a customized appliance, oral appliance therapy is comfortable and carries immense benefit to the patient.
Snoring may occur every now and then, or can be a nightly issue that greatly affects one's wellbeing. Determine if sleep apnea is stealing your sleep, or that of a loved one. Contact us for more information on the diagnosis and treatment of obstructive sleep apnea.
- Options for Treating Snoring Vernon Hills - Helping our patients regain vitality with options for treating snoring in Vernon Hills and Chicago
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea Downtown Chicago - There is a difference between snoring and obstructive sleep apnea, and your downtown Chicago dentist can help you recognize it
- Snoring Remedy Vernon Hills IL - Effective snoring remedy for Vernon Hills, IL patients with obstructive sleep apnea