Outstanding, professional service. As a physician and patient I appreciated Dr. Kumar's professionalism, depth of knowledge and impeccable chair side demeanour. After many years of searching I along with my family have found an outstanding dentist we can trust to do the best job possible. ~ Anonymous
Sleep apnea, a disorder that robs affected individuals of the sleep necessary to function optimally, is a condition with various treatment options. Working with your medical doctor for diagnosis and treatment, you may find certain lifestyle changes or medical solutions to restore sleep. The common medical treatment for obstructive sleep apnea is CPAP, or continuous positive airway pressure.
CPAP treatment consists of the delivery of air through a mask worn around the nose. To stay in place, the mask is strapped around the head, and connected to an air pump by a hose. Wearing this mask during sleep ensures that the nasal passages and airway remain open. CPAP is a successful form of treatment. The problems lie in patient compliance. Physicians may hear complaints from their CPAP patients that range from headaches due to the strap, to issues with noise. As an alternative, physicians may work with Dr. Kumar and staff, incorporating oral appliance therapy into patients' treatment plans.
Some of the common issues that lead to lack of compliance with CPAP include:
- Discomfort due to too-high air pressure.
- Noise from the air compressor inhibits sleep.
- Dryness to the nose or throat.
- Irritation to eyes should air leak from the mask.
- Changes to voice.
- Ringing in the ears.
- Skin irritation.
- Sinus infections.
- Difficulty breathing against forced air.
- Discomfort from air in the stomach.
- Psychological impact due to look or feel of being hooked up to machine and wearing a mask.
Though CPAP is a therapy that can literally save the life of one severely affected by sleep apnea, compliance is an important factor that determines optimal outcome. In cases where oral appliance therapy is appropriate, we work alongside our patient's medical doctor to accomplish specific goals for the restoration of sleep, and a return to health.
If you are suffering from sleep apnea, or are a physician with CPAP intolerant patients, contact us for further information on oral appliance therapy.
- Alternatives for CPAP Vernon Hills - Considering the alternatives for CPAP therapy in the Vernon Hills area
- What is CPAP Treatment Chicago - What is the point of CPAP treatment in the Chicago area?
- Oral Appliance Therapy Vernon Hills - Oral appliance therapy is a comfortable sleep apnea treatment option in Vernon Hills
- CPAP Treatment The Loop Chicago - Lifestyle changes and professional care are great alternatives to CPAP treatment in The Loop, Chicago
- Obstructive Sleep Apnea Vernon Hills IL - Vernon Hills, IL Dentist explains obstructive sleep apnea